Thursday, May 24, 2012

An Unbearable Break the Fast


My freshman year, I lived in Heritage Halls which has a kitchen. As freshman living on their own for the first time in their life many people realize that they don’t know how to cook. My apartment was actually full of people that could cook. We decided to use our skills during the first break the fast. I made lasagna casserole, and instead of lasagna noodles it uses penne or rotini noodles. Since we were fasting, we were really looking forward to eating it since we were starving. The casserole came out of the oven right when the break the fast started. Since everyone actually came on time, due to their hunger, we were in the back of the line.

We placed the casserole dish on the table and looked at the variety of foods. There was some really weird stuff there. Like I said, in the first week people realize they don’t have a clue about cooking. There were corn dogs, pizza, other frozen foods, and a couple plates of food that contained questionable, weird colored mush. My food was pretty top notch compared to everything there, even though it is one of the simplest foods I make.

We had to wait in a long line at the bitter end. We kept looking to see how much was left from the casserole. As we moved closer we noticed there was enough for a couple of servings but there were still a few people ahead. Somewhat jokingly I whispered, “Eww that looks gross,” not intending anyone but my friends to hear it. Unfortunately, my voice carried and the guy serving himself some of the lasagna heard it. He looked at me and gave me one of the worst looks I’ve ever gotten in my life. My eyes bugged out and I apologized and tried to explain that I had made it and that it was in fact delicious. He just moved on though and didn’t listen.

Afterwards we just laughed about the awkward encounter that happened. I also don’t remember who the boy was but he possibly was in our FHE group. Luckily it was not brought up again except when my roommates wanted a laugh.

1 comment: